Why is a blog important?
Most websites owners have a blog. Often it is because they have been told they should or because they see that their competitors have them. They don’t really understand how to use it, or how important it is to have a blog.
Yesterday I wrote a blog giving 10 suggestions for blog content. If you haven’t had chance to read it yet, you can find it here. It may give you a few ideas as a starting point if you are struggling. Were you aware of the different types of posts you could write, or did you just think a blog is more like a journal?
Traditionally blogs were just that, and to some extent there are many still like this. A journal was often about an adventure, about life changing treatment, or even a collection of recipes. Certainly, when patients are going through cancer treatment, it provides an outlet for the fighters and their families to say what is going through their mind that perhaps they can’t always say to loved ones. Then there are the humorous Mummy blogs…
What are the advantages of writing blog posts?
- Well written and structured blog posts are an additional way to drive traffic to your site. If someone were to search for a key phrase or term you have in your blog, and your post is SEO friendly, you have more chance of your post showing up in search results.
- Adding a blog to your existing website is generally free. (Some of the cheaper website deals available or self built platforms may charge extra for the additional functionality).
- You can share links to your blog on your social media pages and drive more traffic to your website. Pinterest essentially operates as a search engine, and posts on there have greater longevity than other Social Media platforms. It is a great tool to help drive more traffic to your website.
- You can link to important pages or other blogs within your site. For example, I could write a paragraph about the advantages of using a VA. (Notice how the text is a different colour? If you click on it, you will be taken to a previous blog).
- Providing links to external sites is a way of giving backlinks, and when reciprocated, will help enhance your own domain authority in the Search Engine Algorithm. Another way you can get backlinks to your website is by commenting on posts n other websites. I will write more on this another day.
- People buy from people, so using your blog in a way that lets your clients know more about you and your business will help them make their decision whether to buy from you or not.
This post was written for day 3 of Vicki Jakes’ 30 days of blogging challenge. It’s not too late if you want to join in. You can find her over here on her website, or in her free Facebook Group Online Marketing For Busy Website Owners.